Home / Places To Go / Victoria / Wimmera and The Grampians / Casterton

Casterton

  • by

This township of some 1,500 on the Glenelg River is a major stock marketing centre and services several local studs and pastoral properties for wool, lambs and beef. Just 42kms from the South Australian border, the town is a great place as a base to explore the state’s south west and the Lower Glenelg National Park to the south. 

Casterton Old Court House 002
By Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0 ], from Wikimedia Commons
Casterton Henty Street 002
By Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Henty Street (Glenelg Highway), Casterton where most of the original historic buildings of the township can be found.  The street is named after the Henty brothers and particularly George Henty, who established major pastoral runs in the area and made it his home.

Casterton Kelpie Monument 002
By Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

The kelpie monument in Casterton. The township lays claim to be the origin of the kelpie breed – an intelligent working dog, particularly good at working sheep.

Casterton Railway Station 001
By Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Built in 1886, the heritage listed, former railway station at Casteron is a relic of the time when railway was a vital commercial line for the town and district and where wool and livestock would be transported to the port at Portland via Hamilton.

Casterton Glenelg River 001
By Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) (Own work) [GFDL or CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

The Glenelg River close to Casterton.  

The river has always played an important part in the history of the town not only as the major irrigation source for the surrounding farms, but the townships beginnings were an inn based on a crossing of the river at the junction of the Adelaide, Melbourne and Portland roads. 

Shearing shed entrance at Warrock by denisbin, on Flickr

The Warrock Historic Homestead complex.

The homestead outside of Casterton was built by Scottish cabinet maker George Robertson who settled in the area in 1853.  The remarkable complex consist of 30 well crafted wooden buildings showing the skills of Robertson in his craft.  One of the buildings is now a cottage museum and displays the tools used Robertson and other memorabilia from when the homestead was working sheep station.