The major city in the rich wool producing area south of the Grampians, Hamilton has a population of around 10,000. After initial explorations, the area was first settled in 1838 by the Scottish Edge brothers, who called their property “The Grange.” Just as it is today, Hamilton was on the cross roads between the ports of Portland. Port Fairy and Melbourne.
Built in 1879, this ornate building was the meeting place of Hamilton Club – a group of squatters, professionals and merchants of the Hamilton district who formed the commercial backbone of the region. The building has been preserved in excellent condition and is on the state heritage register.
The Hamilton & Western District College is a landmark building in the town and was built in 1871. The school serves both primary and secondary students from the local region and has connections with the Presbyterian Church, reflecting the strong Scottish background of the early settlers.