Located on the banks of the Glenelg River, Harrow is possibly Victoria’s oldest inland town. Settled in the 1840s, many of the historic buildings and local homesteads in the township and area are still used, with little change in the overall aspect of the town centre from the 19th century.
Gardner Park includes the log lockup built in 1859 which was used for prisoners awaiting trial. The site of the lockup is also the former site for the Cobb and Co stables and it is believed that the lockup was later used for overnight stays for Cobb and Co coach drivers during their trips to Hamilton and then Portland.
The Harrow Discovery Centre is a museum where many stories about Harrow are celebrated including Australia’s First XI, the aboriginal cricket team that toured England in 1868 and the teams talented all-rounder Unaarrim, known as Johnny Mullagh. The museum also contains a collection of memorabilia of Don Bradman.
Blair Street, the main street of Harrow.
Originally a crossing point of the Glenelg River and later a busy Cobb and Co coach depot, Harrow is a popular fishing and camping destination and a perfect place for a relaxing holiday in Victoria’s west.
An 1868 print of Unaarrim or Johnny Mullagh. Harrow is the home of Australia’s First XI – the Aboriginal Cricket team which travelled to England in 1868 and which is documented at the Harrow Discovery Centre and Johnny Mullagh Interpretive Centre; named for the talented all-rounder in the team Johnny Mullagh. Mullagh played 47 matches in the teams tour of England, scored 1698 runs, took 245 wickets as a bowler and even did a time as wicket keeper.