Situated in the rich wheat growing area of the Wimmera, Warracknabeal is a township of some 2,700 people servicing the local agricultural endeavours in the area including grains, canola, legumes, lambs and wool. The township is located on the banks of the Yarriambiack Creek which flows into the Wimmera River.
The bronze dog and wool bag sculpture that sits on the centre island of one of the towns roundabouts. The statue is one of two; the other being a small flock of sheep and designed to depict the agricultural heritage of the township.
Built in 1906 – 1907, the Warracknabeal post office is a heritage listed building.The post office was built in the English Domestic Revival style which was quite unusual for a rural post office. The post masters quarters consist of 4 expansive bedrooms, a drawing room, living room, dining room and kitchen, is one of the grandest residences in a post office in Victoria.
The imposing Warracknabeal Town Hall was built in 1939 – 1940. The hall includes the Regent Theatre and in addition to its municipal office functions has operated also as a cinema since opening. The design is based on ‘European modernism’ with the architect, Norman Seabrooke, being influenced by the Dutch architect, Willem Dudok.
The first European settlers in the area were Andrew and Robin Scott who established two properties on either side of the Yarriambiack Creek and gave them the name Warracknabeal, east and west. It is generally thought that the name comes from the local aboriginal language meaning ‘gum trees around a hollow’ or ‘flooded red gums.’