The township is also a very popular camping destination with camping available on the banks of the Murray River. Due to one of the locks on the Murray River being just downstream, the river level in Robinvale is maintained at a level suitable for boating, water skiing and fishing.
The township is a relatively new one with the post office opening in 1924 and expanding as further irrigation resources were made available for the local farming communities. The town is named after George Robin Cuttle, a member of the RAF who was killed in action over France in 1918. The Cuttle family (Herbert and Margaret Cuttle) were a founding members of the township.
Built in 1948, the Southern Cross windmill was used to pump water from the Murray and supply the town. The tower is 18.3 m high and the wheel 9.1 m in diameter. The windmill was donated to the township as a historical site by the last owner, W McGinty.