Australia’s oldest and most visited art museum
The National Gallery of Victoria contains an extensive range of art works: classical European master pieces, ancient artifacts, Pacific Island artworks, an international collection of contemporary art and the largest and most comprehensive collection of Australian art works. In 1967 the gallery opened a department dedicated to international photographic collections.
The gallery routinely host international exhibitions.
In two locations
The gallery is located in two locations; the main gallery building located on St Kilda Road (shown above) which is home to its international collection and the Ian Potter Centre located at Federation Square, where the Australian collection is displayed.
The gallery was established originally in 1861 and is Australia’s oldest and most visited art museum. While formerly located at various locations within central Melbourne, the Gallery was moved to its new building and current location finally in 1968. The Ian Potter Centre was completed in 2002 and this main building was completely redesigned and refurbished and opened in December 2003.
The gallery is open from 10am to 5pm daily.