The town and surrounding landscape are dominated by the 151 meter high Nut – a volcanic plug, left over from one of the volcanoes that dotted the northern Tasmanian coast.
Located on the peninsula leading to it, Stanley is the oldest settlement in Tasmania’s north west and developed out of the original ventures of the Van Diemen’s Land Company, a farming company originally set up in 1826 to produce and export wool back to England.
The township is full of historic 19th century buildings, some bluestone and others weatherboard. These include St James Presbyterian Church which was prefabricated in England and shipped to Tasmania and re-erected and Poet’s Cottage the first bluestone school for the town built in 1850s.
Highfield, the former headquarters of the Van Diemen’s Land Company sits a short distance from the town. The heritage building and complex was built between 1832 and 1835 and was the first European settlement by members of the company in the north west of Tasmania. Currently open for public inspection through Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania..