Central to the town is the Galley Museum which contains records and relics from the past mining communities of western Tasmania. The museum is housed in the former Imperial Hotel building which was constructed in 1897.
The town of some 3,500 people started out as a settlement built around the discovery of gold in the area in 1881. The gold quickly ran out and the town turned to copper mining which was carried on for over a 100 years and still continues in a far more limited fashion and effect on the town’s environment.
Positioned within the Tasmanian wilderness the town is now a popular tourist destination and staging point for trips to the national parks and attractions that surround it.