The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery in Launceston is the largest regional gallery and museum in Australia. The collection has been in the making since 1842 and opened in 1891. The museum and art gallery are located in two buildings which are about 15 to 20 minutes walking distance apart.
The original building for the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery and was opened in 1891. Originally a small natural history museum collection was located on the ground floor and and the art works on the first floor but the collections soon expanded beyond this layout and plans for the new building at Invermay were made. Address: 2 Wellington Street, Launceston. Across from Royal Park.
The natural history museum located at Invermay was opened in 2001. This building was original designed to house the entire museum and gallery, however in 2007 it was decided to move the art collections back to the museum’s original location at Royal Park. Address: 2 Invermay Rd, Invermay (sometimes referred to as being in Inveresk – a smaller precinct in Invermay).
One of the main galleries of the Art Gallery. The gallery is primarily based around collections of Tasmanian colonial art including examples of convict art, from the 1840s forward.
Within the gallery is also a complete Chinese Joss House temple display with items collected from several such houses that existed in the tin mining areas of north east
Tasmania and now preserved.
The natural history museum contains one of the most complete collections of Tasmanian colonial and aboriginal artifacts including a large furniture collection and a complete working planetarium that can be experienced.
The museum also presents displays on the geological timeline for Tasmania and its many fauna, including dinosaur displays of the animals that once roamed the island.
There is a vintage railway display and also blacksmith workshops built between 1909 and 1937 that show the tools and workings of the trade as actually carried out on the site.