Home / Places To Go / Tasmania / Hobart and South / Cape Bruny Lighthouse

Cape Bruny Lighthouse

  • by

Located on the southern end of Bruny Island, the lighthouse was first used in 1838 as a welcome guide to shipping along the difficult stretch of coast between the Tasmanian mainland and the island itself. 

The lighthouse was in active duty from 1838 to when it was decommissioned in 1996 and is the second oldest surviving in Australia.  The lighthouse was manned by keepers continuously for a period of 158 years. 

The lighthouse was built using convict labor using local stone.

Cape Bruny Lighthouse (22796056806)
By Stephen Edmonds from Melbourne, Australia (Path towards) [CC BY-SA 2.0 ], via Wikimedia Commons

Now the lighthouse is managed by the Tasmanian Parks & Wildlife Service with assistance from volunteers.  There are tours available to visit the lighthouse and see its internal construction operated by Bruny Island Safaris.