To the south of Hobart, Bruny Island is two island land masses joined by a narrow isthmus, 100 kilometers long in total and covering an area of 362 square kilometers.
The island is a popular tourist destination due to its spectacular coastal scenery and quaint villages.
The island is often visited as part of day trips, however, many stay overnight and there are several small settlements on both in the north and south of the island which can provide accommodation and food. In addition to the wildlife and great scenery there are many other things to do including a cheese factory, oyster farm, vineyard, smokehouse, the Cape Bruny lighthouse, museum and art gallery.
The Cape Bruny Lighthouse is located on the southern end of the island. The lighthouse was first operated in 1838 and was continuously manned for 158 years – the second longest surviving lighthouse in Australia.
The island is accessible by ferries that leave from Kettering and arrive at the very north of the island almost hourly from 6.30 am to 7.15pm, 365 days of the year.