The Bay of Fires stretches from Binalong Bay in the south and some 50 kilometers to Eddystone Point in the north.
It is a beautiful area of white sand beaches, orange lichen covered rocks and the crystal clear blue water of the Tasman Sea.
The bay is a popular beach hollday location for camping, swimming, boating, surfing or just scenic beach walks. Beaches are not patrolled so swim with care.
For much of its length the bay is included within sanctuaries or park reserves, however camping facilities are available mostly in the south, near Binalong Bay. Camping sites are bush camping with very limited facilities and no water. Petrol. water and provisions are only available at St Helens at the southern end of the bay so ensure you are well prepared.
The northern end of the bay is at Eddystone Point and is included in the Mount William National Park, the sanctuary to the Forester, the only large kangaroo left in Tasmania.
The bay is called larapuna in the local aboriginal language. It was named “Bay of Fires” by Tobias Furneaux who commanded the second ship accompanying James Cook on his second voyage to Australia (1772 -1775). Passing by the bay in 1773, Furneaux observed the fires of aboriginal people on the shore and so the name.