A mining town facing the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Weipa faces the Gulf of Carpentaria and sits on the end of the cape that divides the estuaries of the Mission and Embley Rivers. It is a mining town taking advantage of the world’s third largest deposit of bauxite.
Mine and port
Mining began in 1960 after is was discovered that the local prominent red cliffs were actually large deposits of bauxite.
This has resulted in a population of around 4,000 people and extensive port facilities to export ore.
Willem Janszoon and the Duyfken
In 1660 Willem Janszoon, a Dutch merchant captain, landed at Pennefather River just a few kilometers to the north of Weipa.
This was the first European contact with the Australian continent.
A replica of Janszoon’s ship, the Duyfken (‘little dove’).