The very top of the bridge is 134 metres above the harbour
The bridge was built to solve the problem of moving the thousands of people who lived on the northern shores of the harbour between their homes and work in the city. Up until the bridge being put in place this was mostly solved through harbour ferries, but as the city grew this became quite impractical. When first opened in 1932, the daily traffic across the bridge was around 11,000 and which has now grown to more than 180,000 vehicles and 200 trains per day.
Eighteen years and 53,000 tonnes of steel
A bridge crossing the harbour had been suggested several times for more than a century before the actual planning began and then it took 18 years before the bridge was finally opened.
The construction of the bridge began in 1924 with 1,400 men working on the 53,000 tonnes of steel that make it up. The initial painting of the bridge took 270,000 litres of paint and is something that has never stopped as a continuing maintenance action.